David is one of the people in the music business I look up to. While at the height of the brass profession he overcame dystonia by completely reevaluating how he approached and even conceived of his playing.
He also started the very successful Mountain Peak Music publishing company. I loved hearing his approach to the publishing business and how it applies to all of us in the music business.
Topics covered in this episode:
- Finding a core customer base
- The advantage of "drilling down" to cater to a specific niche
- Not assuming different customer bases have the same needs
- How his battle with dystonia taught him to not always approach problems in a linear and traditional manner
- Creating an environment where people can create their own improvement rather than follow step-by-step instructions
- How critical communication skills are to all entrepreneurs
A big thanks to David for joining me on this episode! I learned a lot!