Brian is the Dean of the Lawrence Conservatory of Music and a former ethnomusicologist for Microsoft. He is the perfect meld of artist and businessman which makes him a very forward-thinking dean.
His passion for combining artistic expression with entrepreneurial skills has him on the cutting edge of what a music education should look like at the collegiate level today.
- How a $50 gig playing the didgeridoo led to his full-time employment for 16 years at Microsoft which led to him becoming a dean
- Always saying yes when asked if you are capable of something
- The importance of pivoting in one's career
- How giving people autonomy over projects can unleash creativity
- The value of questioning traditions within music
- Being ready to seize an opportunity
- The 4-Hour Work Week by Timothy Ferris
- The Savvy Musician by David Cutler
- Switch: How to Change Things When Change Is Hard by Chip Heath & Dan Heath
Want to help "keep the lights on" and make future episodes of TEM possible? Please visit our Patreon page to see how you can help: