Michael Harley is the bassoonist for Alarm Will Sound as well as the Artistic Director of the Southern Exposure New Music Series. He is also Assistant Professor of Bassoon at the University of South Carolina.
Michael's career has had many twists and turns and many instances of him ending up doing things he never envisioned himself doing. His approach to both music and the music business are spot on. It is no wonder he has had such a successful career.
- The importance of jumping right in and saying yes and then figuring it out
- Why you have to be ready for the opportunities that will come your way
- Why this might work is better for creating art than this better work
- The importance of working your ass off
- What he looks for in a group when booking his concert series
- Contemporary classical music is an easy sell if it's great
- How Alarm Will Sound was able to go from a student group to a professional
- Finding something no one else is doing and that you can do better than anyone else
- What it was like working with Medeski, Martin & Wood
- Leap First by Seth Godin
- “You jump right in and you say yes and then you figure out how to do it. You say ‘Of course I can.’"
You can help offset the ongoing costs of producing the show by making a small donation at http://www.pedalnotemedia.com/support-the-entrepreneurial-musician. Your support is greatly appreciated!