TEM 103: Dr. John W. Parks IV on Building a Professional Recording Studio from Scratch, Being Addicted to Getting Better and Pushing Boundaries Within a Traditional Job
What You'll Learn:
How John went from being a piano major in college to being one of the world's best known percussion professor
How he got "addicted" to getting better and how that fueled his rise in the business
John talks about the incredible recording studio he has built at Florida State and how he learned just about everything about building it and setting it up through asking questions in forums
How this recording studio has enabled a number of his students to start businesses offering pre-screening audition recordings for other students
Why and how John formed an LLC
What you need to start a recording studio (and it's probably less than you think)
How they have progressed to making video
The entrepreneurial skills his students have learned through experiencing this recording project
A resource John would recommend for young musical entrepreneurs
- Garnet House Productions Soundcloud Page
- TEM 15: Mike Nickens of The Green Machine
- The Savvy Musician by David Cutler
- The Savvy Music Teacher by David Cutler
Show notes for all episodes of TEM including topics discussed, links to all books and websites referenced can be found at:
Don't miss the debut of the TEM Newsletter! Sign up to receive a free copy of 7 Things I Learned from the First 100 Episodes of TEM.
1. Help me get to my goal of $50 per episode on Patreon by pledging as little as $1 per episode to support the show: https://www.patreon.com/tempodcast.
2. Help me get to my goal of 50 ratings at iTunes (I'm really close!) by leaving a rating and review.
And finally, a huge thank you to Parker Mouthpieces for providing the hosting for TEM.
Produced by Joey Santillo for Pedal Note Media