What an incredibly inspiring story Chip has! Talk about stepping up when facing some unspeakable adversity. This is one of the most uplifting and motivational episodes thanks to Chip being so open about his fight against Bells Palsy.
If I ever have to face something like that, I hope I have half the grace and courage that Chip has shown the world. We were honored to have him join us.
From the show notes:
TBJ78: Chip Crotts on playing trumpet with Ray Charles, prosthetic robot arms for musicians and his comeback from Bells Palsy
Chip Crotts has played trumpet with an incredible array of stars, from Natalie Cole to Maynard Ferguson and has been involved with building an innovative program from the ground up at Georgia Tech.
In this episode, we cover:
- The integration of music and technology at Georgia Tech
- Building the undergraduate degree from the ground up
- The development of a prosthetic robotic hand and arm to allow folks to play piano of drums
- Playing with Ray Charles and Maynard Ferguson (and an amazing array of other artists)
- “You never know when your shot’s gonna come, so you have to be ready”
- Natalie Cole, the Tuscaloosa Horns (T-Horns)
- Lance’s water pipes freezing and bursting mid-show, FUN!
- Working with Santa Clara Vanguard
- Dealing with Bells Palsy which paralyzed the left side of his face, and his documentation of the recovery process on video at his Facebook page
You can check out the complete show notes including all of the links mentioned during this episode over at Pedal Note Media.